Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Former Detroit Piston Ronald 'Flip' Murray Convicted of Desertion & Abandonment

The Oakland Press has reported that former Detroit Piston Ronald ‘Flip’ Murray was prosecuted and sentenced for a criminal charge of desertion and abandonment, which is basically, unpaid child support:  arrested and jailed for unpaid child support:  Former Piston 'Flip' Murray owes Pontiac woman thousands in child support.  Murray was sentenced to 11 months in jail, but will only serve that sentence if he does not pay the child support that he owes, which is $53,053.

In Michigan, child support obligations are enforced by not only the courts, but also the local prosecutors and even the attorney general’s office.  For non-payment of child support, the Friend of the Court can garnish your tax refunds, suspend your driver’s license, file a lien against your property, report the debt to credit agencies, garnish a private pension or retirement, and issue a bench warrant for your arrest.  Additionally, in cases where the amount of support owing is excessive, the Friend of the Court can refer the case to the local prosecutor for felony charges.  Felony non-support cases can also result in jail sentences.

In this particular case, the Michigan Attorney General instituted criminal charges of desertion and abandonment under state law, which can be found here:  MCL 750.161.  The maximum sentence if convicted is 3 years in jail.

What people don’t always realize is that child support is modifiable in Michigan.  The Friend of the Court can conduct an automatic review of child support every 36 months.  However, if there is a substantial change in income, a parent can file a request for modification and have it reviewed, even if it hasn’t been 36 months.

The court and Attorney General will also work with parents on overdue support.  However, an effort must be made to make timely payments, and if the parent is unemployed, to find viable employment. 

The lesson is clear—if there is a substantial change in income, it is important to request modification of child support.  If the person paying child support becomes delinquent, the penalties can be excessive and extreme, and, in some cases, avoidable.

If you are interested in learning more, please call Wendy Alton at 734-665-4441 or email her at More information about her firm, Pear Sperling Eggan & Daniels, P.C., can be found here:




Post a Comment